This article is the ultimate guide to Tala Loan application in Kenya.
So if you want to:
- Know more about Tala
- Apply for a Loan on your mobile phone
- Repay your Tala loan
- Inquire about Tala loan terms
Then you’ll love this new guide.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What is Tala Loan?
Tala is a Santa Monica-based digital lender that offers micro-loans to individuals in Kenya, Mexico, India, and the Philippines. The company is led by Shivani Siroya, who founded it back in October 2011.
Tala works through a mobile app that provides instant loans to users with an Android device. The entire process of applying for and receiving the loan happens through Tala App, from application to funds release and status tracking.
As of the writing of this article, the Tala App has been downloaded over 5 million times in Kenya alone. The app’s 4.4-star rating comes from more than 400,000 different users who have left feedback on it to date.
Many within that industry consider the Tala loan app the best loan application in Kenya. Kenyans themselves have also liked it because of its convenience and accessibility and how easy it is for them to get loans with this specific company.
How Tala Loan Application Works
Tala works through a simple process that is easy to follow:
- Download the loan app from the Google play store
- Fill out the Tala loan application form found in the app
- They determine if you qualify
- You choose the amount you want to borrow
- The loan is sent to your M-Pesa in an instant.
Tala charges a one-time service fee of 5%-33% on the amount you borrow and has repayment schedules that vary depending on your preference. Some people might prefer to repay from the Tala app or directly through an M-Pesa using Tala Paybill number 859100.
They give loans ranging from 500/= when you are a first-time applicant to Ksh. 30,000, which is the maximum you get. To get the maximum, you will borrow and repay in time over some time.
Tala Loan Requirements
For you to use this loan app, you need to meet the following Tala loan requirements:
- A Smartphone – You cannot access Tala using a Kabambe type of phone
- Be 18 years old with a phone number and
- National Identification Number
- Have a Safaricom line with M-Pesa activated. They send your loan to M-Pesa directly (One you register with).
- Have used your phone and transacted on M-Pesa previously.
That is basically what you need. Currently, Tala does not access Credit records, so it does not matter whether you are listed on CRB or not.
Tala Loan Application Procedure
We will discuss the loan application process now that you know how Tala works.
Getting a Tala loan has never been easier. The process takes less than five minutes and is available on your phone 24/7 with the app! As mentioned above, the Tala loan application process is simple; this is what you’ll need to do to apply for a loan using the Tala app:
- Download the app to your smartphone
- Locate the app on your phone and open it
- Choose the language you are comfortable using (English or Swahili)
- Create an account
- Enter your phone number and PIN, then verify your phone number
- Check the amount you qualify
- Follow the process to fill out the Tala loan application form
- Apply for a tala loan
- Choose the Payment schedule (21 days or 30 days)
- Tala will send your loan but before that, make sure you agree to the terms and conditions.
How to Repay Tala
Tala gives you either 21 days or 30 days to repay your loan. At the end of these payment schedules, here is how you can repay Tala.
- Send the amount to the Tala Pay Bill 851900
- I prefer the second method, which is through the app. This is easy, allowing you to know how much you can repay at any specific time. You have to open the app, and your Tala loan balance will be available to you.
As demonstrated above, the process is simple and can be done in just a few steps.
How to Contact Tala
There comes a time when you need to get in touch with Tala for one reason or the other. Here is how to contact Tala:
- When using the app, you will see a place to contact them. This is easy and direct.
- You can text them at 21991
- Or you can email them at [email protected]
- The company also has a presence on Social Media; you can reach them on Facebook or Twitter.